Tuesday, October 11, 2011

To Read Shakespeare, Or Not To Read Shakespeare, That is the Question!

“He words me, girls, he words me” (Antony and Cleopatra).

William Shakespeare is one of the most important writers of all time. He wrote about society. Even 400 years after his death his words still reflect and are about society. Everyone has come across a play written by Shakespeare. While I was in High School I read Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet, Twelfth Night, and Julius Caesar. Most students hate reading Shakespeare because they find it confusing. Shakespeare was not meant to be read it was meant to be HEARD. The great thing the film industry does is make films based on Shakespeare’s 36 plays. Almost every Shakespeare play has been made into a movie so if you need to understand one of his plays I suggest renting one of the movies.

Here are some of my favourite Shakespeare plays made into movies.

  1. Taming of the Shrew (1967)
  2. Hamlet (2009)
  3. Romeo and Juliet (1968)
  4. Richard III (1955)
  5. Henry V (1989)
  6. As You Like It (2006)

These movies are Shakespeare’s plays just made into movies but there are movies that are based on Shakespeare’s plays but are his plays without his Dialogue. One Shakespeare play to look forward to comes out in 2012, called Coriolanus.

Here is a list of movies that are based on Shakespeare’s plays.

  1. The Lion King (Hamlet)
  2. Kiss Me Kate (Taming of the Shrew)
  3. West Side Story (Romeo and Juliet)
  4. She’s The Man (Twelfth Night)
  5. O (Othello)
  6. My Own Private Idaho (Henry IV, Henry V, Henry VI)

Shakespeare is a well known writer who has blessed the world with his words. These movies can be used in a classroom setting. Shakespeare is hard to understand for most people. Movies help simplify the text and create a story that the viewer is easier to follow. I have talked to many people about Shakespeare being made into film and I have not heard any negativity on the subject. Even if the movie is a bad movie, the students will still be able to hear the words and hear the meaning behind them. I love Shakespeare. I love different adaptations of Shakespeare. I love going to the Theatre to see Shakespeare. I think Shakespeare is very helpful for students to learn more about themselves and the world around them.

"This above all: to thine own self be true" (Hamlet).

No comments:

Post a Comment