Sunday, October 23, 2011

Books and Movies go Hand in Hand

Some people do not like to read, but some people like to watch movies. Good thing most classic novels have been made into film. English is one class that uses film a lot to help students understand a novel better. I love doing both. I am not saying that you should forget the book and just watch the movie. I am saying that after you read a book, sometimes it is easier after reading a book to watch the movie to make sure you retain the information that is given to you.

In 9th grade my teacher made us read Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. I do not like this book whatsoever but the one thing that got me through this book was the film of the same name made in (1946). I thought the story was very complex and thick but the movie helped me get through the density of the novel.


In the 10th grade my class read Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare. I love Shakespeare, but this play, at that age, was very hard for me to get into and understand. My teacher at the time put in Julius Caesar so we could understand what is going on in the story.


In the 11th grade my class read East of Eden by John Steinbeck. I love this book but the beginning of the book is very complex and a little dull because Steinbeck is outlining the story. The film version of with James Dean is a great version of the story. It focuses the main part of the novel on the story of Cal. This film helped get the essence of the novel.


In the 12th grade my class read The Natural by Bernard Malamud. I had a hard time getting into this book. I did not like the character and I had a hard time understanding the character. The movie version with Robert Redford shows the character in a better light and helped me understand what was going on in the story. The Natural, the movie, is different from the book but being able to see Malamud's vision on the big screen is very helpful.




Even in college professors assign movies for the students to watch to help understand the different texts they have to read. English is one of the best subjects for students to better understand different stories and themes.

The main thing for people to understand is that the books, most of the time, are better than its film counterpart. The movie should be used to help tell but not to replace the book. The books are very important for the student to be able to read the words and sentences they methodically wrote in their novels.

No comments:

Post a Comment