Tuesday, November 15, 2011

How-To choose the best film for your class!

Movies.

A simple media but choosing the right film is always the hardest and most frustrating part, in my opinion. I think it is even harder when you need to choose the proper movie for the class as well. So I have decided to give you some steps into how to choose the proper film for a classroom.

First:

The movie needs to be suitable for all ages. Meaning, that you should rarely choose a rated R movie unless you are in college or you are only showing a clip from that rated R movie. To be safe try and stick to the PG and PG-13 movies.

Second:

What class are you teaching? For the purposes of this how-to, lets say you are trying to pick a movie for an English class. It is important to not watch a movie for each novel that you read in class. I think that you should provide your students with the idea of watching the novel that you have read.

Third:

Choose what novel you want to show the movie version of. In my personal opinion, the most complex and hardest book to understand is probably the best choice to watch a movie for.

Fourth:

Last I think it is important put an assignment with the movie. Some students do not read the novels they are assigned and wait to watch the film. Putting an assignment with the film is important so the student will pay attention and not just fall asleep. For example, compare the novel to the movie.

I love watching films in class but what I think is the most important part is writing about it afterwards. I think the student would retain more information if they are told to read the novel, watch the movie, and compare the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment