Tuesday, November 15, 2011

My Life in the Movies


I have blogged about different subjects and different movies that I love. I have yet to explain my real love of movies and learning. This is what I wanted to focus on today.

I grew up in a home that is filled with art and culture. My dad would read me stories of fantasy and adventure as I would fall asleep. My older sister would buy me books by authors that would take me to a world that I had never seen before. My mom would take me to Disneyland when I was not feeling well. But as a family we would go to the Movies and I would experience some of the most amazing sights and sounds that changed my life. Before I go on I should probably explain who my parents are and who my sister is.

My dad is a professor of Theater at Chapman University. He specializes in Shakespeare and Directing and through out my life I have been around him while he has taught his students about the intricacies of Shakespeare and Directing. He also spent summers directing many Shakespeare productions where I was able to see Shakespeare's works come to life. My Mom teaches at an Intermediate School. Recently she has become the head of the Art program at the school. This involves any type of performing art or creative arts in the school. And my sister graduated with her Bachelors in Theater and is now getting her Masters in directing in Canada. As you can see we love the arts. But they also love learning.

Because my parents love the arts and education I sort of became obsessed with the movies and learning from movies. I am currently taking a class about Crime in Film. I am required to watch a wide variety of movies in order to understand crime in film. But, after class I go straight onto IMDB and I research more about the movie I have just seen. The website I visit the most, more than Facebook, is IMDB. My teachers would show movies in the classroom and I always thought it was a great day in class. I learn so much from watching movies and I feel that the classroom is a great way for students to grow as individuals. If I were a teacher I would try to use movies as much as possible to try and expand the minds of my students. Sometimes students can only see what is on the page, what the movies do is show another world that we are not familiar with.



I want to say that the Oscars is like my Super Bowl. Last year The King's Speech won for best picture. This film is about a country finding something and someone to believe in during a time of terrible struggle. This is a great movie for a history class and even a speech class. Movies help me understand things, they take me to a different world and they show me a world I could have never imagined. Some of my favorite movies are from movies that I watched in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment